RELEVANT EVENTS

Mobile World Congress closes its best edition ever with a record of attendance

03.03.2017

The 12th edition of the Mobile World Congress (MWC) broke all the previous records and registered its best edition to date. 108,000 visitors from 208 countries attended the world’s largest event of the mobile-phone related industry, 7% more than last year’s edition. 55% of them were senior executives, including 6,100 CEOs. According to data released this Thursday by the event’s organiser GSMA, Barcelona’s community has benefited greatly from the creation of over 13,200 temporary jobs and close to €465 million in increased revenue. Last year, GSMA CEO John Hoffmann confirmed that the MWC will stay in Barcelona until 2023 maintaining the city’s reputation as a mobile centre of Europe. The 2018 edition will take place between the 26th of February and the 1st of March.

The 2,300 international companies spanned nine halls and eleven outdoor spaces went beyond just the mobile phone industry, including firms from the automotive, financial and health sectors, presented their novelties at the fair. Visitors explored GSMA Innovation City and experienced immersive demonstrations of the most cutting-edge mobile-enabled products and services in the world today.

The number of women has grown noticeably in comparison to last edition; in particular, 23% of those who passed through the fair’s two main venues, at L’Hospitalet Gran Via and Fira de Montjuic, were women, 14% more than in 2016.

The most successful edition yet

“MWC 2017 has reinforced its position as the most important event in the sector of mobile communications”, said GSMA CEO, John Hoffman. He considered this edition “the greatest and most successful to date” and thanked the Spanish, Catalan and local authorities. According to Hoffman, this edition’s motto ‘Mobile: The Next Element’ emphasised “the important role that the mobile sector plays in millions of people’s lives worldwide. Once again, we had the chance to attend outstanding conferences carried out by the sector’s main personalities and get to discover the technologies, products and initiatives which will define the industry’s path in the coming years”, he said.

1,000 m2 dedicated to showcase 68 Catalan companies

The Government of Catalonia, via Catalonia Trade & Investment, organised a 1,000 m2 stand available to 68 Catalan companies and entities within the Mobile World Congress. It also facilitated the presence of 35 startups in the fourth year of the 4YFN event — set up by entrepreneurs and investors from the mobile sector.

Within the framework of the MWC, Catalonia Trade & Investment received trade delegations from all over the world, interested in discovering the opportunities to be found in the Catalan ICT sector. The directors of the Catalan Government Trade and Investment offices were also attending the event. Furthermore, the Catalonia Stand dedicated part of its facilities to a group of North American ICT companies, thanks to an agreement between the governments of Catalonia and California.

Meetings between companies from all over the world

The Catalonia Stand was once again the setting for the Brokerage Event held by the Government of Catalonia, as a member of the Enterprise Europe Network (EEN) from the European Commission. This is a series of international meetings between companies working in mobile communication technology. They were pre-arranged meetings lasting 20 minutes with the goal of finding partners to develop innovative projects via international cooperation agreements, in areas such as trade, licence distribution, joint ventures, subcontracting, technology transfer and collaborative R+D agreements.

Source: CNA

News
Subscribe